[Bitcoin-development] [softfork proposal] Strict DER signatures

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 00:44:37 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 6:48 AM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I think we should just go ahead with R/S length upper bounds as
> both IsStandard and in STRICTDER.

I would like to fix this at some point in any case.

If we want to do that, we must at least have signatures with too-long
R or S values as non-standard.

One way to do that is to just - right now - add a patch to 0.10 to
make those non-standard. This requires another validation flag, with a
bunch of switching logic.

The much simpler alternative is just adding this to BIP66's DERSIG
right now, which is a one-line change that's obviously softforking. Is
anyone opposed to doing so at this stage?

--
Pieter