[Bitcoin-development] Two Proposed BIPs - Bluetooth Communication and bitcoin: URI Scheme Improvements

Andy Schroder info at AndySchroder.com
Thu Feb 5 23:38:17 UTC 2015

Hello,

With the recent discussion started today regarding another bluetooth
communication proposal created by Airbitz, I'd like to bring people's
attention back to this proposal that saw little discussion last fall. I
guess I'm not sure why two proposals are being created. Is their some
advantage of using bluetooth low energy over standard bluetooth (I'm not
well versed in bluetooth low energy)? This NFC coupled approach seems to
avoid a lot of issues with identifying the correct payee. You can see
this proposed scheme demonstrated in action in a POS application in the
video link below which demonstrates it with my fuel pump and Andreas
Schildbach's wallet.

There was a small discussion that occurred after my original
announcement below. If you are new to this e-mail list, you can find an
archive of those few replies here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/bitcoin-development%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg06354.html

Since this original announcement, a few improvements have been made to
the proposal:

 1. Improved documentation and explanation of the use cases in
    Schildbach's wallet's wiki
     1. https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet/wiki/Payment-Requests
 2. Issue with the payment_url field has resolved by changing to a
    repeated field and requiring the wallet to search for the protocol
    they want to use, rather than expecting it to be a certain element
    number in the list.
     1. https://github.com/AndySchroder/bips/blob/master/tbip-0075.mediawiki

Although there are some interesting use cases of Airbitz's proposal's
work flow, tapping an NFC radio with a 5 mm range requires much less
brain power and time than picking the correct name on the app's screen.
The manual name picking is going to be especially crazy in a very
congested location. The payer isn't ever going to want to have to try
and figure out what register or payment terminal they are at for most
applications I would ever use.

I'd like to see something happen with this technology. I've also noticed
that micropayment channels have little formality to being established
practically and it would be awesome if they could be managed over
bluetooth as well. Maybe more improvements to the payment protocol can
simultaneously result (and also extended to bluetooth) that embrace the
establishment of micropayment channels.

Andy Schroder