[Bitcoin-development] Standardizing automatic pre-negotiation of transaction terms with BIP70? (Emulating Amazon one-click purchase at all merchants)

Eric Voskuil eric at voskuil.org
Tue Feb 10 10:59:21 UTC 2015

On 02/10/2015 02:41 AM, Natanael wrote:
> Den 10 feb 2015 11:34 skrev "MⒶrtin HⒶboⓋštiak"
> <martin.habovstiak at gmail.com <mailto:martin.habovstiak at gmail.com>>:
>>
>> Why would anyone want to do anything about payment before choosing
>> what he wants to buy and for what price? I've never used Amazon but
>> isn't filling a form with shipping information enough?
>
> That's not what this is about.
>
> BIP70 isn't just payment, it is about communication the terms of the sale.

Hi Natanael,

BIP70 exists for seller non-repudiation (i.e. a cryptographically signed
receipt for payment) and establishing strong seller identity in a
face-to-face or other non-web scenario (since TLS doesn't help).
Anything else is incidental.

> Let's say you're visiting an international webshop. But they don't ship
> to your country. Wouldn't you want to know that before your start
> filling the cart? With this, your wallet / browser extension could tell
> you right away that you can't shop there. No time wasted!
>
> That's just one requirement of many where you would benefit from being
> told right away if it is acceptable for both parties or not.

There's quite a bit that can be done with wallets and web sites, but
personally I'd freak out if my wallet prompted me because I visited a
web site.