[Bitcoin-development] Standardizing automatic pre-negotiation of transaction terms with BIP70? (Emulating Amazon one-click purchase at all merchants)

MⒶrtin HⒶboⓋštiak martin.habovstiak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 11:33:13 UTC 2015

> Den 10 feb 2015 12:08 skrev "Mike Hearn" <mike at plan99.net>:
>>
>> We can certainly imagine many BIP70 extensions, but for things like
>> auto-filling shipping addresses, is the wallet the best place to do it? My
>> browser already knows how to fill out this data in credit card forms, it
>> would make sense to reuse that for Bitcoin.
>>
>> It sounds like you want a kind of Star-Trek negotiation agent thing, where
>> your computer knows how to seek out the best deal because all the metadata
>> is standardised. Such a thing would be an interesting project, but it's
>> probably not best done in BIP70 given how it's deployed and used today.
>> Rather, I'd suggest looking at the various HTML5 data standards which would
>> allow merchants to advertise things like where they ship to in a machine
>> readable and crawlable form.
>
> BIP70 doesn't have to be the place, but not needing to make sure the device
> in question have that information stored already would be an improvement.
> What protocol is used doesn't matter much, I just thought reusing BIP70
> would simplify implementation.

In what universe is that simple? Your solution: browser extension +
wallet + comminucation API + all the wallets need to implement it
Our solution: just browser extension.

If you hate writing browser extensions in Javascript, you can say it
directly. ;)

> HTML5 elements could definitely be supported, through adding a tag in the
> HTML form that says "prompt the Bitcoin wallet about the following payment
> details".

Just no.

> As one example, your browser could ask your hardware wallet over BLE for
> this data. This way you barely have to trust the computer you're using at
> all, as everything it does is confirmed on the hardware wallet before
> payment (assuming it has a screen, which it should). Linking your hardware
> wallet over BLE to new devices which you then use for browsing and shopping
> could  be trivial and yet allow secure auto-fill of this kind.

This looks more interesting but is information about your location
really so secret that you need to hold it in HW wallet? Because if so,
you probably don't want to use untrusted machine anyway. (Or just use
Qubes OS.)