[Bitcoin-development] On Rewriting Bitcoin (was Re: [Libbitcoin] Satoshi client: is a fork past 0.10 possible?)

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 19:29:16 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:

> That its highly complex to maintain strict consensus between bitcoin
> versions, does not justify consensus rewrite experiments

Correct. However, those maintenance costs absolutely do justify working
towards formal proofs of correctness for the existing implementation. These
plans are no secret and are publicly discussed, but I think it would be
instrumental to outsiders if the correctness plans and ongoing progress
could be mentioned whenever a warning is made about unjustified and
dangerous Bitcoin consensus rewrite attempts.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507