[Bitcoin-development] On Rewriting Bitcoin (was Re: [Libbitcoin] Satoshi client: is a fork past 0.10 possible?)

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Sun Feb 15 17:21:09 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 06:13:06PM +0100, Tamas Blummer wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2015, at 6:02 PM, Peter Todd <pete at petertodd.org> wrote:
> > Yes you are dicking around.
>
> I thought I was clear, that I am using Bitcoin Core as border router talking to its P2P interface.

Ah, sorry, that wasn't clear to me.

> The reimplementation of consensus code helped me to deeply understand the protocol, aids debugging
> and now comes handy to create a side chain.

Indeed, which is why I've done a lot of work on a reimplementation of
the Bitcoin scripting system as well:

https://github.com/petertodd/python-bitcoinlib/blob/master/bitcoin/core/scripteval.py

Which has this cheery warning at the top:

"""Script evaluation

Be warned that there are highly likely to be consensus bugs in this
code; it is unlikely to match Satoshi Bitcoin exactly. Think carefully
before using this module.
"""

I'll be adding a FFI interface to libconsensus in the future... and I
probably should make that warning scarier...

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000000ffb7a576b7aa5236c53f51ec07ccf174067beed3398056