[Bitcoin-development] On Rewriting Bitcoin (was Re: [Libbitcoin] Satoshi client: is a fork past 0.10 possible?)

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Thu Feb 19 03:32:05 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 06:13:06PM +0100, Tamas Blummer wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2015, at 6:02 PM, Peter Todd <pete at petertodd.org> wrote:
> > Yes you are dicking around.
>
> I thought I was clear, that I am using Bitcoin Core as border router talking to its P2P interface.
>
> The reimplementation of consensus code helped me to deeply understand the protocol, aids debugging
> and now comes handy to create a side chain.

The work that Tamas did re-implementing is probably one of the most valuable
things he ever did.

It would significantly improve the quality of the consensus code if this
community would start treating it as a buggy & poorly defined proof-of-concept
that just happens to actually run, rather than some holy scripture upon which
we must never question (or change)

I'm impressed by the secp256k1 work, and other modularity efforts, but at
some point main.cpp needs to get untangled, and have some critical review
if bitcoin wants to remain relevant.