[Bitcoin-development] bloom filtering, privacy

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:50:11 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> And then what? So you know the block matches. But with reasonable FP rates
> every block will match at least a few transactions (this is already the case

This approach needs a filter set with a lower FP rate. It doesn't
depend on having a high FP rate for privacy (which is good, since
counting on filter false positives seems to more or less fail to
deliver actual privacy in any case.)

Larger filters mean a somewhat higher baseline bandwidth, though when
users do not reuse addresses and have more addresses than there are
txouts in the block the gap is narrower.

> Ah, I see, I didn't catch that this scheme relies on UTXO commitments

This is talking about a committed bloom filter. Not a committed UTXO set.