[Bitcoin-development] bloom filtering, privacy

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri Feb 20 17:59:03 UTC 2015

The idea is not mine, some random guy appeared in #bitcoin-wizards one
day and said something about it, and lots of people reacted, wow why
didnt we think about that before.

It goes something like each block contains a commitment to a bloom
filter that has all of the addresses in the block stored in it.

Now the user downloads the headers and bloom data for all blocks.  The
know the bloom data is correct in an SPV sense because of the
commitment.  They can scan it offline and locally by searching for
addresses from their wallet in it.  Not sure off hand what is the most
efficient strategy, probably its pretty fast locally anyway.

Now they know (modulo false positives) which addresses of theirs maybe
in the block.

So now they ask a full node for merkle paths + transactions for the
addresses from the UTXO set from the block(s) that it was found in.

Separately UTXO commitments could optionally be combined to improve
security in two ways:

- the normal SPV increase that you can also see that the transaction
is actually in the last blocks UTXO set.

- to avoid withholding by the full node, if the UTXO commitment is a
trie (sorted) they can expect a merkle path to lexically adjacent
nodes either side of where the claimed missing address would be as a
proof that there really are no transactions for that address in the
block.  (Distinguishing false positive from node withholding)

Adam