[Bitcoin-development] bloom filtering, privacy

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Sat Feb 21 05:12:54 UTC 2015

Seems like Greg & I may be saying different things.  Maybe I am
misunderstanding something at the wire level or in size/scalability
but what I was trying to say is I think simpler.

By UTXO commitment I mean a merkle tree of unspent addresses is
committed in each block.  Also a bloom filter containing addresses in
the block is committed.

Now the user downloads the bloom filter for each block, and searches
it locally.  They see which addresses of theirs maybe in the block
(with some false positives).

Then they make fresh random connections to different nodes and request
download of the respective individual transactions from the full node.
The node can respond either a) here is the transaction and here is its
merkle path in the merkle tree (this is the way SPV works today); or
b) there is no such transaction, this is a false positive, and here is
a pair of merkle trie paths in the UTXO commitment (a trie) that
proves the full node is not withholding and its true that no such
transaction is in the block.

Additionally with UTXO commitments in case a) the user can keep up to
date with the chain tip and request from the full node a merkle path
in the UTXO commitment to show that the coin is still unspent.
(Otherwise you get long range attacks where someone can grind away
until they belatedly find a PoW on an old low hashrate block with UTXO
and fool an SPV node they know the address for into accepting a spend
of something long spent).

About privacy the node can make different random connections to
different nodes to fetch addresses.  Nothing is leaked by downloading
the bloom filter.  Scanning happens locally.  The full node cant
correlate the addresses as belonging to the same person by correlating
the download requests for them, because they are made via different
nodes.  Its not a surprise nor privacy revealing that someone would
want to check receipt of the funds.  The limit is the interactive
nature of ToR which isnt very secure against pervasive monitoring.
But for basic full-node passive attack resistant privacy pretty good.

Contrast with increasing the false positive on bloom queries: here the
full node can test correlation (modulo the false positive ratio) and
combine that with network flow analysis to narrow down who the user
might be.  Plus query size and privacy are in conflict.  Plus the
query size has to be continually retuned to even create a reliable
false positive rate relative to the current UTXO set.  Is that is even
happening now (other than parameter sets)?

About the bitmap:

>Greg Maxwell wrote:
>> there is a scriptpubkey bitmap per block
>> which is committed. Users can request the map, and be SPV confident
>> that they received a faithful one. If there are hits, they can request
>> the block and be confident there was no censoring.

how does the SPV client know what the bits in this map mean to scan?
I presume these would be one bit per address and one would need to
know the full UTXO set in order to know whats in there.  I am not sure
an SPV node would want the hit of keeping up to date with the full
UTXO set?

s/address/scriptpubkey for accuracy)

Adam