[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin at POS using BIP70, NFC and offline payments - implementer feedback

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 09:13:34 UTC 2015

Den 23 feb 2015 08:38 skrev "Andy Schroder" <info at andyschroder.com>:

> I agree that NFC is the best we have as far as a trust anchor that you
are paying the right person. The thing I am worried about is the privacy
loss that could happen if there is someone passively monitoring the
connection. So, in response to some of your comments below and also in
response to some of Eric Voskuil's comments in another recent e-mail:

>From the sources I can find NFC don't provide full privacy, but some
modulations are MITM resistant to varying degrees, some aren't at all, and
they are all susceptible to denial of service via jammers.

If the merchant system monitors the signal strength and similar metrics, a
MITM that alters data (or attempts to) should be detectable, allowing it to
shut down the connection.

Using NFC for key exchange to establish an encrypted link should IMHO be
secure enough.

http://resources.infosecinstitute.com/near-field-communication-nfc-technology-vulnerabilities-and-principal-attack-schema/