[Bitcoin-development] Request for comments on hybrid PoW/PoS enhancement for Bitcoin

Jameson Lopp jameson.lopp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 14:54:17 UTC 2015

This is an interesting idea from the standpoint of trying to incentivize
people to run nodes, though from a high level it seems to just be adding
complexity to the current process by which nodes 'endorse' blocks. When a
node receives and validates a block it then informs its peers of the new
inventory, thus offering to send the block that 'endorses' as valid.

"Because there is an incentive to include endorsers, there is an incentive
to broadcast mined blocks as soon as possible." - I'd say that this is
already the case due to the incentive for a miner's block to get propagated
around the network first.

My first question would be whether or not your proposal would include a
change to how nodes propagate new blocks. At the moment, a node that hears
about a second valid block at the tip of the chain will ignore it and not
propagate it to its peers. Wouldn't your proposal necessitate a change to
this logic so that blocks with 'better' endorsements get propagated even if
they are received after non-endorsed or lesser-endorsed blocks?

I'd also be interested to know more how endorsements would be limited
(fairly) to only a subset of nodes.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the endorsement timing. You're saying that a miner will
add endorsement payouts in their block based upon nodes that endorsed the
previous block? Which means they're paying nodes to endorse a block that
they probably didn't even mine? Or would a miner only include payouts to
endorsers for the last block that they mined that was accepted by the
network?

- Jameson