[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin at POS using BIP70, NFC and offline payments - implementer feedback

Andy Schroder info at AndySchroder.com
Tue Feb 24 19:49:14 UTC 2015

Hello,

I think were talking about a lot of the same things. There is one key
piece of information that I was not thinking about until you made it
clear. Why the payee needs to identify the payer. In my fuel pump
application, they really don't, so I wasn't thinking closely about these
other situations. With my fuel pump, it won't even let you do anything
until you sign a transaction and submit it. So, the payment request
contains no personal information, it's just a request for payment, and
not for anything specific. It doesn't know or care what you are going to
buy until you make a prepayment, because there is no use in trying to
start doing business without a signed transaction. This approach
minimizes risk because once you dispense a fuel, or anything else, it's
not like you can easily give it back if you happened to not have any
funds. It also makes it a higher chance for a confirmation before the
customer leaves. Other transactions have similar post payment
traditions, like a restaurant (not fast food), where the seller doesn't
know if you actually have enough money until you've already consumed the
food, but this work flow seems to be a culturally driven one rather than
risk driven.

In the discussion about an https website, there are many websites where
no login or authentication by the client required to have a private
connection. With a shopping website though, the customer can identify
themselves without logging in by saying (in band) what they are
intending to buy after the private connection has been established. At a
cash register in person the items being purchased have no tie to the
customer. The items being purchased were communicated to the seller out
of band (in real life) and insecurely to establish that link. You are
trying to make a tie between that list of items and the buyer
separately, and that is why some unique identifier needs to be
transmitted via NFC.

Stepping a bit back: I guess I'm wondering if it would be useful to
encourage an opposite work flow where a micro payment channel is setup
for most purchases. For example, if I go to the grocery store, it
usually takes a minute or so to check out. If I immediately tap and open
up a payment channel with the store when I start checkout, rather than
finish, there can be more network propagation of that transaction while
they are scanning all the items. They'll see the channel is open and
start adding all the items I want to buy to that micro payment channel.
I'm identified because I made a payment, not because I've transmitted a
unique resource or used a unique public key to encrypt communication. A
payment terminal would not allow for new payment channels to be open
until the currently active one is closed. If I don't have enough funds
left in the payment channel, they just stop scanning items. There may be
some additional privacy implications of setting up micro payment
channels all the time for everyday purchases. It also may not work for
every sales case, so we may still need some way to authenticate the
payer with a unique identifier. So, maybe we don't want to do this, but
it is just a thought to consider.

So, unless someone thinks what I am proposing in my previous paragraph
has any potential (as a complete solution, not a complement to
solutions), the plan is the following:

  * Get rid of the "h=" parameter
  * Add a "s=" parameter that uses a unique public key for each session.
    This public key identifies the payee to the payer and payer to the
    payee.
  * Use a base58 encoding to save space and reduce the character set
    slightly.
  * Get rid of the resource? If a terminal is accepting payment from
    multiple customers simultaneously, it should be smart enough to
    distinguish between customers based on the public key they are
    encrypting the data with. Is this approach feasible?
  * When you said a new public key for each tap, do you see that as
    every single tap, or do you consider multiple taps from the same
    customer the same tap?

Andy Schroder