[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin at POS using BIP70, NFC and offline payments - implementer feedback

Eric Voskuil eric at voskuil.org
Wed Feb 25 02:09:42 UTC 2015

On 02/24/2015 02:50 PM, Andy Schroder wrote:
> We can change "resource" to "Session ID" if you want.
>
> I think the URL scheme should be:
>
> bitcoin:[address]?r=bt:<mac>&s=<PublicKey>

This is a question of proper URL semantics, as applied to the "bt" scheme.

From rfc3986 [Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax]:

"The path component contains data, usually organized in hierarchical
form, that, along with data in the non-hierarchical query component
(Section 3.4), serves to identify a resource within the scope of the
URI's scheme and naming authority (if any)."

"The query component contains non-hierarchical data that, along with
data in the path component (Section 3.3), serves to identify a resource
within the scope of the URI's scheme and naming authority (if any). The
query component is indicated by the first question mark ("?") character
and terminated by a number sign ("#") character or by the end of the URI."

The question therefore is whether <key> is (1) relative to the path
(hierarchical) or (2) independent of the path and instead relative to
the scheme and naming authority.

The "bt" scheme does not include a naming authority, and as such the
question is simply whether <key> is relative to "bt" or relative to the
path, which is <mac>. Quite clearly <key> is valid only in the context
of <mac>, not relevant to all <mac>s.

As such one must conclude that the proper form is:

bt:<mac>/<key>

> But when connecting to the mac, the client indicates the SessionID in
> the header, and as you say, SessionID is derived in some way from
> PublicKey.

Yes.

> This is a slightly different format than both of your suggestions below,
> but seems to make more sense based on what you said in your entire
> message. The other thing is it can be used with more protocols without
> taking up more space in the URL.
>
> However, by loosing the h= parameter, I think we are now loosing some
> benefit it brought to https based connections if the customer doesn't
> want to use bluetooth. Right?

I don't believe that the BIP-70 protocol over https has any need for the
parameter. It was only useful because the NFC/BT session wasn't secured.
So I don't think anything is lost.

> Also, you talk about a new public key (and session ID) for each tap. I
> guess I'm wondering about this though. If the public key is compromised
> on the first tap, isn't their payment request already compromised?

Yes, but that is not the problem that non-reuse is designed to resolve.

Reuse of the public key creates a forward secrecy problem. If 1000
sessions are recorded, and later the private key associated with the
reused public key is compromized, all of the sessions are retroactively
compromised.

Another problem is persistent impersonation. If the one associated
private key is compromised, and nobody knows it, the attacker can not
only monitor all transactions but can selectively steal payments (if
they aren't signed and verified). This is BTW also a good reason to not
use HD generation of these session keys.

Another problem is that any payer can use the well-known public key to
obtain payment requests.

Another problem is that without a unique public key there is no unique
session id, so that would need to be added explicitly on the URI.

> Since we are securing everything, can we change the message header
> format from what Schildbach's bitcoin wallet implements to something
> more consistent?

Could you spell this out, I'm not familiar with the implementation, just
the proposals.

> Maybe we can create a new UUID for this secure service
> so Schildbach's bitcoin wallet can still maintain backwards compatibility.

That may be necessary depending on the implementation of existing
terminals, but I'm not familiar enough to speculate.