[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin governance

Jeffrey Paul jp at eeqj.com
Wed Jul 1 08:54:10 UTC 2015

If people attempt to govern Bitcoin, Bitcoin falls apart.

That's why there is no voting and there are no unnecessary hard forks; Bitcoin operates on consensus.

Engineering and research along these lines is folly, as any attempt to impose such concepts as "voting" will rightfully find itself with nothing to govern.

It is a common misconception that the core devs govern Bitcoin; indeed they are the core devs only because they do not try to govern. I urge you to review the history of the term "unix" for an instructive example of what happens in systems that do not depend on consensus.

And now back to regularly scheduled development, I hope.

Best,
-jp

PS: A personal request to the list: could we please limit ourselves to posting about the research and development of Bitcoin Core? Many of us must stay continually abreast of all progress on Bitcoin Core by reading all of -dev daily and subjecting everyone's email inboxes to hundreds of pet theories about governance and block size opinions without patches or simulations is simply abusing the list membership to soapbox. I encourage you to make blog posts instead and post them to /r/Bitcoin or suchlike versus taking up attention span on an *engineering* mailing list.

--
Jeffrey Paul   +1 (312) 361-0355
5539 AD00 DE4C 42F3 AFE1 1575 0524 43F4 DF2A 55C2