[bitcoin-dev] Thoughts on Forks, Scalability, and other Bitcoin inconveniences.

Justus Ranvier justus at openbitcoinprivacyproject.org
Sun Jul 5 21:05:43 UTC 2015

On 07/05/2015 03:53 PM, Eric Lombrozo wrote:
> Perhaps I didn't write that so well if I gave that impression. Perhaps
> taking a look at some of my work in this space would make you think
> otherwise. (yes, I've implemented an entire SPV stack from scratch...look
> it up.)

I get concerned when I hear statement like "the raison d'etre of bitcoin
is trustlessness" because it implies that Bitcoin promises infinite
security, which has never been the case.

I don't think we can meaningfully discuss Bitcoin security issues if
every proposal is compared to a straw standard of perfection which is
achievable. When everybody expects infinite security then the perfect
turns into the enemy of the good (and the achievable).

--
Justus Ranvier
Open Bitcoin Privacy Project
justus at openbitcoinprivacyproject.org
E7AD 8215 8497 3673 6D9E 61C4 2A5F DA70 EAD9 E623