[bitcoin-dev] Can we penalize peers who relay rejected replacement txs?

Matt Whitlock bip at mattwhitlock.name
Fri Jul 10 01:36:38 UTC 2015

My reasons for wanting this are two-fold:

1.) To reduce the CPU load due to Bitcoind. Presently I am seeing periods of time in which Bitcoind is pegging a CPU core. Given that the flood of spam transactions appears mostly to be invalid under RBF rules, I would like to cut off the flood coming into my node by temp-banning the peers who are relaying invalid replacement transactions.

2.) If enough other nodes also implement this banning rule, then we could potentially cut off the flood of spam right at the source. Then the spammer would be forced to build and publish *non-conflicting* transactions to continue the attack, and this would be much costlier to maintain, as then *all* of the spam transactions could eventually have their fees collected by miners, not just some non-conflicting subset of the spam.