[bitcoin-dev] Significant losses by double-spending unconfirmed transactions

Milly Bitcoin milly at bitcoins.info
Wed Jul 15 19:57:27 UTC 2015

> (note how Chainalysis's actions were
> described(1) as a sybil attack by multiple Bitcoin devs, including
> Gregory Maxwell, Wladimir van der Laan, and myself)

As far as I know none of those people are security experts nor do they
engage in systematic risk and threat analysis.  Simply because they are
experts in Bitcoin development does not make them expert in other areas.
  Many of those involved in Bitcoin think that because they know Bitcoin
that they somehow have become experts in other areas.  That is one
reason why so many Bitcoin companies have been hacked.

An "attack" according to ISO/IEC 27000 "is any attempt to destroy,
expose, alter, disable, steal or gain unauthorized access to or make
unauthorized use of an asset."  The situation you are describing is not
an "attack," they are providing a service.  Satoshi Dice is also not
"spam," it is again providing a service within the rules set forth in
the software.  The people going around claiming these are "spam" and
"attacks" spend too much time of Reddit or they have an ulterior motive.
  In any case these baseless accusations and arguments waste inordinate
amounts of time.

Russ