[bitcoin-dev] QR code alternatives (was: Proposal: extend bip70 with OpenAlias)

Clément Elbaz clem.ds at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:42:02 UTC 2015

As a side note, you may be interested about the 2D-Doc, which is a new
French standard used to protect documents such as address proofs or
invoice. I've been involved with it closely at work.

Every 2d-Doc include an ECDSA signature inside a 2D barcode, the key being
that the barcode is a Datamatrix and not a QR code.

If any of you can read French, the technical specification of the standard
can be found here ::
https://ants.gouv.fr/content/download/516/5665/version/4/file/ANTS_2D-Doc_CABSpec_v2.0.1_erratum.pdf

Basically, a short summary of the protected document is encoded inside the
barcode, followed by an ECDSA signature of the summary (still in the
barcode). The signature is done by an official, government-approved 2D-Doc
emitter. The 2D-Code contains a short reference (a few bytes) to designate
which emitter signed it, and then you can lookup the 2D-Doc TSL supplied by
the French government to get all the X509 Certificates from every emitters
you are interested in, in order to check the signature.

While 2D-Doc solve a very different problem than Bitcoin + BIP70, you may
be interested in knowing about it as hundred of thousands of them have been
emitted successfully while solving one of the problem you face : embedding
an ECDSA signature inside a 2D barcode.

Thank you for your time,

Clément Elbaz