[bitcoin-dev] Electrum Server Speed Test

Slurms MacKenzie slurms at gmx.us
Thu Jul 23 15:56:05 UTC 2015

Similar to the Bitcoin Node Speed Test, this is a quick quantitative look at how the Electrum server software handles under load. The Electrum wallet is extremely popular, and the distributed servers which power it are all hosted by volunteers without budget. The server requires a fully indexed Bitcoin Core daemon running, and produces sizable external index in order to allow SPV clients to quickly retrieve their history.

    3.9G    electrum/utxo
    67M     electrum/undo
    19G     electrum/hist
    1.4G    electrum/addr
    24G     electrum/

Based on my own logs produced by the electrum-server console, it takes this server (Xeon, lots of memory, 7200 RPM RAID) approximately 3.7 minutes per megabyte of block to process into the index. This seems to hold true through the 10 or so blocks I have in my scroll buffer, the contents of blocks seem to be of approximately the same processing load. Continuing this trend with the current inter-block time of 9.8 minutes, an electrum-server instance running on modest-high end dedicated server is able to support up to 2.64 MB block sizes before permanently falling behind the chain.