[bitcoin-dev] BIP 102 - kick the can down the road to 2MB

Thomas Zander thomas at thomaszander.se
Fri Jul 24 08:52:24 UTC 2015

On Friday 17. July 2015 20.29.16 Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> We are unlikely to approach 1 MB of actual volume by November, so I would
> prefer to see the activation date on this moved later - maybe November
> 2016,  if not 2017. It would also be an improvement to try to follow
> reasonably- expected bandwidth increases, so 15% (1.15 MB) rather than
> doubling. Doubling in only a few months seems to be far from a
> "conservative" increase.

The reference to bandwidth increases makes no sense, the bandwidth in most of
the world is already far exceeding the 8Mb limit. Not everyone lives where you
live :)

In Germany you buy a 150Mbit connection for a flatrate and a cheap monthly
rate, for instance.  Not saying that Germany is where all the miners are, but
since 150Mbit allows one to comfortably have 16 megabyte blocks, it is a good
example of how far off Luke's calculations are from real-world.

I don't belief your argument to push forward holds.
--
Thomas Zander