[bitcoin-dev] Why Satoshi's temporary anti-spam measure isn'ttemporary

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Thu Jul 30 03:49:08 UTC 2015

I dont think people consider other blockchains as a competitive
threat.  A PoW-blockchain is a largely singleton data structure for
security reasons (single highest hashrate), it is hard for an
alternative chain to bootstrap or provide meaningful security.
Secondly the world largely lacks expertise to maintain a blockchain to
bitcoin's security level, perhaps you can see a hint of this in the
recently disclosed security vulnerability by Pieter Wuille and Gregory
Maxwell.  Calls to this as an argument are not resonating and probably
not helping your argument.  Bitcoin has security properties, and a
competing system cant achieve better properties by bypassing security,
any blockchain faces the same fundamental security / decentralisation
limitations.

Secondly Bitcoin can obviously compete with itself with different
parameters and defacto *does* today.  I think it is a safe estimate
that > 99% of Bitcoin transactions right now are happening in Bitcoin
related systems with various degrees of audit, reconciliation,
provable reserves etc.  I think we can expect this to continue and
become more secure via more reconciliation, and longer term via
lightning or Bitcoin sidechains with different parameters.  It is a
different story to have a single central system (Bitcoin with
parameters changed to the point of centralisation failure) vs having
multiple choices, because some transactions can more easily use
relatively centralised systems (eg micropayments), and more
interestingly the combination of a secure and decentralised layer 1
plus choices of less decentralised layer 2 options, can be interesting
because the layer 2 is provided cover from attack.  There is less to
be gained by attacking relatively centralised layer 2 because any
payments at risk of policy abuse (which is typically a small subset)
can easily switch to layer 1.  That in itself makes layer 2
transactions also less susceptible to policy abuse.  Further lightning
it appears from work so far should add significant scale while
retaining trustlessness and a good degree of decentralisation.

Finally you seem to be focusing on "artificial" limits where that is
not the issue under consideration.  The limits are technical and
relating to decentralisation and security.  I wont go over them again
as this topic has been covered many times in recent months.  Any chain
that tried to go to extreme parameters (very low block intervals, or
very large blocksizes) would have the same decentralisation problems
as Bitcoin would if it did the same thing.  There are a number of alt
coins that have failed as a result of poor parameter choices, there
are inherent security limits.

Adam

ps Etiquette note for yourself and others: please dont be repetitive
or attempt to be forceful.  Many people have spent many years
understanding this very complex system, from my own experience it is
rare indeed to think of an entirely new concept or analysis, that
hasnt' been long considered and put to bed 3 or 4 years ago.
Thoughtful polite and constructive comments are welcome but I
recommend to not start from an assumption that you have a clear and
better insight than the entire technical community, because I have to
say from my own experience that is very rarely the case.  It can be
useful to test theories on #bitcoin IRC channel to find out what has
been already concluded, find the references and avoid having to have
that hashed out on this list which is trying to be focussed on
technical solutions.

On 29 July 2015 at 16:10, Raystonn . via bitcoin-dev