[bitcoin-dev] Răspuns: Personal opinion on the fee market from a worried local trader

Ivan Brightly ibrightly at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:45:16 UTC 2015

One thing that the below assumption doesn't appear to take into account is
user demand for quick confirmations. I haven't fully thought out the game
theory on this but here goes:

Example: if 75% of hashing power accepts 'medium' fee transactions while
25% is willing to accept low (or any) fee transactions, then a user paying
a lower fee wishing to get their transaction included in the next block
runs a ~75% chance that their transaction won't be included.

Users desiring the most reliably fast confirmations are better off by
paying the minimum fee that a majority of miners will accept. Miners
breaking ranks and accepting lower fees only affects users who aren't
sufficiently interested in quicker confirmations. As long as a majority of
miners 'collude', they will likely be able to keep the average fees higher
than miners with the lower costs of operations might be willing to accept.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Adam Back via bitcoin-dev <