[bitcoin-dev] Răspuns: Personal opinion on the fee market from a worried local trader

Tom Harding tomh at thinlink.com
Thu Jul 30 13:14:17 UTC 2015

On 7/29/2015 9:48 PM, Ryan Butler via bitcoin-dev wrote:

> I shouldn't have said unlimited, i should have said a greater
> blocksize limit such as 8mb.
>
> Anyways, why is that the assumption?  If a miner can do so, and do so
> profitably, isn't that just competition?  Isn't that what we want?  If
> a miner can mine low transaction fees at a profit then don't they
> deserve to have their spot?  Surely if they do so unprofitably they
> quickly find themselves out of business?  Besides, if a miner mines
> low fee transactions by breaking rank, how does this affect another
> miner EXCEPT for the additional blocksize load.  I would maintain this
> is just competition amongst miners gentlemen.  And it's a good thing.
>
> Right now things are distorted because most income comes from the
> coinbase, but as transaction fees start to constitute the majority of
> income this idea seems to have more importance.

You're completely correct Ryan.

There has been a well functioning fee market since 2011.  Average fees
have never been zero, despite low-fee transactions being mined, and
despite no block size pressure until September 2014.

Another empirical fact also needs explaining.  Why have average fees *as
measured in BTC* risen during the times of highest public interest in
bitcoin?  This happened without block size pressure, and it is not an
exchange rate effect -- these are raw BTC fees:

https://blockchain.info/charts/transaction-fees?timespan=all&daysAverageString=7

... more evidence that conclusively refutes the conjecture that a
production quota is necessary for a "functioning fee market."  A
production quota merely pushes up fees.  We have a functioning market,
and so far, it shows that wider bitcoin usage is even more effective
than a quota at pushing up fees.