[bitcoin-dev] Block size following technological growth

Jameson Lopp jameson.lopp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 16:43:56 UTC 2015

I fully expect that new layers will someday allow us to facilitate higher
transaction volumes, though I'm concerned about the current state of the
network and the fact that there are no concrete timelines for the rollout
of aforementioned high volume networks.

As for reasoning behind why users will still need to settle on-chain even
with the existence of high volume networks, see these posts:

http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/34119233/

http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/34113067/

Point being, the scalability proposals that are currently being developed
are not magic bullets and still require the occasional on-chain settlement.
Larger blocks will be necessary with or without the actual scalability
enhancements.

- Jameson