[bitcoin-dev] A compromise between BIP101 and Pieter's proposal

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri Jul 31 10:16:15 UTC 2015

I think trust the data-center logic obviously fails, and I was talking
about this scenario in the post you are replying to.  You are trusting the
data-center operator period.  If one could trust data-centers to run
verified code, to not get hacked, filter traffic, respond to court orders
without notifying you etc that would be great but that's unfortunately not
what happens.

Data-center operators are bound to follow laws, including NSLs and gag
orders.  They also get hacked, employ humans who can be corrupt,
blackmailed, and themselves centralisation points for policy attack.
Snowden related disclosures and keeping aware of security show this is very
real.

This isn't much about bitcoin even, its just security reality for hosting
anything intended to be secure via decentralisation, or just hosting in
general while at risk of political or policy attack.

Adam
On Jul 31, 2015 10:39, "jl2012 via bitcoin-dev" <