[bitcoin-dev] Block size following technological growth

Marcel Jamin marcel at jamin.net
Fri Jul 31 13:07:42 UTC 2015

> Quite possibly bigger blocks == more users == more nodes and more miners.

I agree and would say that this is the only prediction of bitcoin's future
we can be absolutely sure of: more users equals more decentralization as
long as the cost of running a node is not prohibitively high.

It's incredibly cheap today and won't be too high with any of the current
proposals for the time being. If the "laws" of Nielsen & co suddenly don't
apply anymore, we can always react to that with another hardfork reducing
the rate of growth. Hardforks are way easier if the network is in danger
and the necessary change is obvious and non-controversial (e.g. "reduce
blocksize limit growth").

As long as hobbyists can participate in running the network and it's
affordable for everyone to transact on it, bitcoin will grow and its
decentralization with it, however you measure it.