[bitcoin-dev] Why Satoshi's temporary anti-spam measure isn't temporary

Eric Lombrozo elombrozo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 20:45:38 UTC 2015

I would love to be able to increase block size. But I have serious doubts
about being able to do this safely at this time given what we presently
know about the Bitcoin network. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this
sentiment.

Had we been working on fixing the known issues that most complicate bigger
blocks in the last six years, or even in the last three years after many
issues had already been well-identified, perhaps we'd be ready to increase
the limit. But other things have seemed more important, like specifying the
use of X.509 overlay protocols or adding complex filtering mechanisms to
the p2p protocol to make it practical to use tx merkle trees...and as a
result we're not ready for safely allowing larger blocks.

- Eric
On Jul 30, 2015 11:43 PM, "Thomas Zander via bitcoin-dev" <