[Bitcoin-development] [BIP draft] Consensus-enforced transaction replacement signalled via sequence numbers

Tier Nolan tier.nolan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 15:42:45 UTC 2015

I am glad to see the transaction version number increase.  The commit
doesn't update the default transaction version though.  The node would
still produce version 1 transactions.

Does the reference client already produce transactions with final sequence
numbers?  If so, then they will be valid version 2 transactions.  If it
sets the sequence to all zeros, then it won't trigger the new code either.
I think simply bumping the default version number to 2 would be safe.

For the timestamp locktime, median block time would be better than raw
block time.  Median time is the median timestamp of the previous 11
blocks.  This reduces the incentive to mess with the timestamp.  Median
time is earlier than block time, but since things are relative, it should
balance out.

Miners have around 2 hours worth of flexibility when setting the
timestamps, so it may not be that big a deal.