[Bitcoin-development] New attack identified and potential solution described: Dropped-transaction spam attack against the blocksize limit

Raystonn . raystonn at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:40:17 UTC 2015

> the only way a transaction can be removed from a Bitcoin Core mempool is
> through it getting mined, double-spent, or the node restarting.

Right.  And that results in some transactions with insufficient fees getting
dropped today after many hours.

> The protection that we have against that attack is that you need access to
> a lot of bitcoins to pay enough fees.

That's no protection against a well-funded private and/or public entity.
Without the block size limit, this attack doesn't exist.  It would simply
result in a transfer of wealth from spammer to miners, which is a nicely
antifragile response for the Bitcoin network.