[Bitcoin-development] New attack identified and potential solution described: Dropped-transaction spam attack against the blocksize limit

Raystonn . raystonn at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 22:46:59 UTC 2015

> Bitcoin is a global consensus system - if you're (sic) bandwidth isn't
> sufficient to keep up you are not part of the consensus.

Bandwidth can be purchased.  Infrastructure to handled increasing
transaction volume can be purchased.  The very fees being paid by a spammer
will be used to increase the miners' ability to absorb even more fees.  The
blocksize limit cannot respond in such a dynamic way to attacks.  Miners
cannot buy a greater blocksize limit in response to a spammer that is paying
high fees to deny transaction confirmation to the rest of the planet in an
attempt to destroy the network.  The blocksize limit is creating an attack
that can be maintained forever by any organization that can afford to fill
the blocks.  This attack would get incredibly cheaper once the BTCUSD market
tanks in response to the lack of usability of the Bitcoin network, meaning
it would be a self-reinforcing attack that would likely destroy Bitcoin for
as long as an attacker wants to keep it up, or until you patch it to remove
the limit after-the-fact, which might be too little too late.

If this isn't fixed, I would expect to see it carried out at some point by
someone with a large short position in BTCUSD.