[Bitcoin-development] New attack identified and potential solution described: Dropped-transaction spam attack against the block size limit

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:36:04 UTC 2015

How about this for mitigating this potential attack:

1. Limit the memory pool to some reasonable number of blocks-worth of
transactions (e.g. 11)
2. If evicting transactions from the memory pool, prefer to evict
transactions that are part of long chains of unconfirmed transactions.
3. Allow blocks to grow in size in times of high transaction demand.

The combination of (1) and (2) means an attacker needs to prepare lots of
confirmed inputs to pull off the attack. By itself that means they MUST pay
transaction fees.

(3) further mitigates the attack because it allows miners to just absorb
fees that the attacker is throwing at miners.

Gavin Andresen