[Bitcoin-development] New attack identified and potential solution described: Dropped-transaction spam attack against the block size limit

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 18:25:18 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Raystonn . <raystonn at hotmail.com> wrote:

>   That does sound good on the surface, but how do we enforce #1 and #2?
> They seem to be unenforceable, as a miner can adjust the size of the memory
> pool in his local source.

It doesn't have to be enforced. As long as a reasonable percentage of hash
rate is following that policy an attacker that tries to flood the network
will fail to prevent normal transaction traffic from going through and will
just end up transferring some wealth to the miners.

Although the existing default mining policy (which it seems about 70% of
hashpower follows) of setting aside some space for high-priority
transactions regardless of fee might also be enough to cause this attack to
fail in practice.

Gavin Andresen