[Bitcoin-development] Proposal: SPV Fee Discovery mechanism

Aaron Voisine voisine at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 19:19:36 UTC 2015

It could be done by agreeing on a data format and encoding it in an
op_return output in the coinbase transaction. If it catches on it could
later be enforced with a soft fork.

For real up-to-the-minute fee calculations you're also going to want to
look at the current mempool, how many transactions are waiting, what fees
they're paying, etc, but of course that information is susceptible to sybil
attack.

In practice what we're doing for now is using services like blockcypher
who's business is improving reliability of zero-conf to tell us what
fee-per-kb is needed, and then putting a hard coded range around it to
protect against the service being compromised. This is also the kind of
thing being done for exchange rate data which is probably the bigger
security risk until bitcoin becomes the standard unit of account for the
planet.

Aaron Voisine
co-founder and CEO
breadwallet.com