[Bitcoin-development] Proposal: SPV Fee Discovery mechanism

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Thu Jun 11 13:10:48 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 02:18:30PM -0700, Aaron Voisine wrote:
> The other complication is that this will tend to be a lagging indicator
> based on network congestion from the last time you connected. If we assume
> that transactions are being dropped in an unpredictable way when blocks are
> full, knowing the network congestion *right now* is critical, and even then
> you just have to hope that someone who wants that space more than you do
> doesn't show up after you disconnect.

Hence the need for ways to increase fees on transactions after initial
broadcast like replace-by-fee and child-pays-for-parent.

Re: "dropped in an unpredictable way" - transactions would be dropped
lowest fee/KB first, a completely predictable way.

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
0000000000000000124bae79afdcee9267b4e6f8137758b8b4135455cd8e3bfd