[Bitcoin-development] Proposal: SPV Fee Discovery mechanism

Nathan Wilcox nathan at leastauthority.com
Sat Jun 13 15:38:56 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Aaron Voisine <voisine at gmail.com> wrote:

> > A Header-PoW-verifying client could still be given all transactions in
> a recent block, from which it can see the in-band fees directly.
>
> You don't know the fees paid by any given transaction unless you also have
> all it's inputs. Transaction inputs do not include an amount. You could
> however get the average fee-per-kb paid by all transactions in a block by
> looking at the coinbase transaction, subtracting the block reward, and
> dividing by the size of block minus the header.

Excellent point and alternative proposal. You're right: to get the specifi
fees, you'd need all transactions in a block, and all TxOuts with
membership proofs. Your alternative seems like a much leaner trade-off for
similar data.

--
Nathan Wilcox
Least Authoritarian

email: nathan at leastauthority.com
twitter: @least_nathan
PGP: 11169993 / AAAC 5675 E3F7 514C 67ED  E9C9 3BFE 5263 1116 9993