[Bitcoin-development] User vote in blocksize through fees

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Sun Jun 14 05:36:45 UTC 2015

The choice is very real and on-point.  What should the block size limit
be?  Why?

There is a large consensus that it needs increasing.  To what?  By what
factor?

The size limit literally defines the fee market, the whole damn thing.  If
software high priests choose a size limit of 300k, space is scarce, fees
are bid high.  If software high priests choose a size limit of 32mb, space
is plentiful, fees are near zero.  Market actors take their signals
accordingly.  Some business models boom, some business models fail, as a
direct result of changing this unintentionally-added speedbump.  Different
users value adoption, decentralization etc. differently.

The size limit is an economic policy lever that needs to be transitioned
-away- from software and software developers, to the free market.

A simple, e.g. hard fork to 2MB or 4MB does not fix higher level governance
problems associated with actors lobbying developers, even if a cloistered
and vetted Technical Advisory Board as has been proposed.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist