[Bitcoin-development] Proposal: Move Bitcoin Dev List to a Neutral Competent Entity

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Sun Jun 14 21:54:36 UTC 2015

I fully agree and support this idea.

Some recent discussion on social media which touches on this very
subject of bitcoin and sourceforge.... (I include nmap and gittorrent
as well because those seem relevant, imho)

https://twitter.com/jgarzik/status/607750046021357568

https://twitter.com/nmap/status/608418994236891137

https://twitter.com/ktorn/status/607818378531631106

https://twitter.com/ktorn/status/607822900331020288

On 06/14/2015 03:12 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> Discomfort with Sourceforge
>
> For a while now people have been expressing concern about
> Sourceforge's continued hosting of the bitcoin-dev mailing list.
> Downloads were moved completely to bitcoin.org <http://bitcoin.org>
> after the Sept 2014 hacking incident of the SF project account.
> The company's behavior and perceived stability have been growing to
> be increasingly questionable.
>

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/08/gimp_dumps_sourceforge_over_do
dgy_ads_and_installer

>  November 2013: GIMP flees SourceForge over dodgy ads and
> installer
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/646118/
>
> May 28th, 2015: SourceForge replacing GIMP Windows downloads
>
> http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2015/q2/194
>
> June 3rd, 2015: Sourceforge hijacked nmap's old site and
> downloads.
>

> When this topic came up over the past two years, it seemed that
> most people agreed it would be a good idea to move.  Someone always
> suggests Google Groups as the replacement host.  Google is quickly
> shot down as too controversial in this community, and it becomes an
> even more difficult question as to who else should host it.
> Realizing this is not so simple, discussion then dies off until the
> next time somebody brings it up.
>

> http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/bitcoin-development/thread/19
43127.DBnVxmfOIh%401337h4x0r/#msg34192607