[Bitcoin-development] soft-fork block size increase (extension blocks)

Richard Moore me at ricmoo.com
Wed Jun 17 16:17:22 UTC 2015

Awesome graph!

It would be interesting if you could use your Excel voodoo (or whatever graph app you use) to add density as a heat map, making areas with more blocks red and regions with less blocks blue…

> On Jun 1, 2015, at 8:42 PM, Tom Harding <tomh at thinlink.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/1/2015 10:21 AM, Adam Back wrote:
>> if it stays as is for a year, in a wait and see, reduce spam, see
>> fee-pressure take effect as it has before, work on improving improve
>> decentralisation metrics, relay latency, and do a blocksize increment
>> to kick the can if-and-when it becomes necessary and in the mean-time
>> try to do something more long-term ambitious about scale rather than
>> volume.
>
> What's your estimate of the lead time required to kick the can,
> if-and-when it becomes necessary?
>
> The other time-series I've seen all plot an average block size.  That's
> misleading, because there's a distribution of block sizes.  If you bin
> by retarget interval and plot every single block, you get this
>
> http://i.imgur.com/5Gfh9CW.png
>
> The max block size has clearly been in play for 8 months already.

Richard Moore ~ Founder
Genetic Mistakes Software inc.
phone: (778) 882-6125
email: ricmoo at geneticmistakes.com <mailto:ricmoo at geneticmistakes.com>