[Bitcoin-development] Mailman incompatibility with DKIM ...

Warren Togami Jr. wtogami at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 10:38:30 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:24 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> The new list currently has footers removed during testing.  I am not
>> pleased with the need to remove the subject tag and footer to be more
>> compatible with DKIM users.
>>

> Lists can do what are effectively MITM attacks on people's messages in any
> way they like, if they resign for the messages themselves. That seems fair
> to me!  :)

Mailman isn't resigning it.  Should it be?  Does other mailing list
software?

>>  I'm guessing DKIM enforcement is not very common because of issues like
>> this?
>>

> DKIM is used by most mail on the internet. DMARC rules that publish in DNS
> statements like "All mail from bitpay.com is signed correctly so trash
> any that isn't" are used on some of the worlds most heavily phished domains
> like google.com, PayPal, eBay, and indeed BitPay.
>
> These rules are understood and enforced by all major webmail providers
> including Gmail. It's actually only rusty geek infrastructure that has
> problems with this, I've never heard of DKIM/DMARC users having issues
> outside of dealing with mailman. The vast majority of email users who never
> post to technical mailing lists benefit from it significantly.
>
> Really everyone should use them. Adding cryptographic integrity to email
> is hardly a crazy idea :)

I understand the reason to protect the "heavily phished" domains.  I heard
that LKML does not modify the subject or add a footer, perhaps because it
would make it incompatible with DKIM of the several big corporate domains
who participate.

I suppose it is somewhat acceptable for us to remove subject tags and
footers if we have no choice...

Warren