[Bitcoin-development] improving development model (Re: Concerns Regarding Threats by a Developer to Remove Commit Access from Other Developers

Milly Bitcoin milly at bitcoins.info
Fri Jun 19 16:05:38 UTC 2015

 >- Did you accept payment from companies to lobby for 20MB blocks? Do
you consider that something appropriate to publicly disclose if so? Do
you consider that user rights should come above or below company
interests in Bitcoin? FWIW on pondering that last question "should user
rights come above or below company interests" I think my view of the
guiding principle is starkly clear to me: that user rights should be the
primary thing to optimise for. Businesses are providing service to
users, their interests are secondary in so far as if they are enabled to
provide better service thats good. Bitcoin is a user p2p currency, with
a social contract and a strong user ethos. Importing and forcing company
interests would likely be the start of a slippery slope towards an end
to Bitcoin.

I always thought is was the exact opposite.  I thought it was expected
that the only incentive for developers (other than increasing the value
of coins they hold) is to lobby for changes that will benefit the
companies that fund them.  That is the only way you are going to get
more full time developers on board.  It focuses their efforts on
products and services people want rather than some sort philosophical
agenda that may be unrealistic.  The notion that large numbers of
volunteers will do all this work at little or no pay to improve user
experience is not a realistic long term plan.  I also think it is
incorrect to assume some kind of "social contract" and "strong user
ethos."  While many early users are like that I think most potential
users of Bitcoin don't think that way.

Russ