[Bitcoin-development] Alternate HD path structure: BIP, blog, or wat?

Matt Smith matt at gem.co
Sat Jun 20 02:40:52 UTC 2015

> to avoid having an internal mapping from 9'-> 0' to find out what
> blockchain to query, this sounds like it should be trivial for any wallet.

Trivial to implement, a headache to *maintain*

But if a new platform is released on an existing blockchain, my wallet
doesn't need to know about the new magic number it claims in order to
handle it correctly.

Say I make a new token layer, BobCoin, which runs on bitcoin and say I
use an HD wallet and always generate new BobCoin token addresses as
m/##'/0'/808'/*'/*/*. If I import that wallet into older HD wallet
software that doesn't know anything about BobCoin, it will still:

- understand what blockchain to query for utxos on the addresses below
that path
- be able to generate valid BobCoin addresses without any updates

I think this is particularly valuable if you're developing against a
platform where updates can't be forced on clients.

To be clear: I am not suggesting this as a general-purpose successor to
BIP44.

–
Matt Smith | Gem
https://gem.co | GH: @thedoctor