[bitcoin-dev] Draft BIP : fixed-schedule block size increase

Tier Nolan tier.nolan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:28:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Martin Schwarz <martin.schwarz at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Gavin,
>
> in 2022 your proposal (BIP as well as code) crosses the 32MB maximum
> message size limit. In order to avoid deployment of code that
> deterministically
> fails fatally in 2022, I'd propose to stop the doublings at 32MB for now
> and fix
> the message size limit in the mean time.

There is an exception in the code for "block" messages.

https://github.com/gavinandresen/bitcoinxt/commit/c81898ec46e4962daf975e352931b848026fdc34#diff-7ec3c68a81efff79b6ca22ac1f1eabbaR3548

This means 2MB limit for all other messages.  "block" messages are limited
to the max block size for 2 hours into the future.

I think setting it to a week into the future might be better, since it is
only a DOS protection.  This would guarantee that message sizes are
reasonable.  The size check would still be done anyway.