[bitcoin-dev] Welcome to the new Bitcoin Dev List

Andy Schroder info at AndySchroder.com
Tue Jun 23 18:45:01 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone has submitted a request for gmane to monitor and
archive this new list, but I did. Maybe it's not best for many people to
re-request that? For those who aren't aware, gmane has a nice HTTP/HTML
archive as well as a newsgroup proxy that is also very nice for reading
the archive. They'll also subscribe the list to mail-archive.com for you.

I've also noticed that gmane
(http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.bitcoin.devel) does not have exactly
the same archive for the old bitcoin-development list
(http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/bitcoin-development/). It's
missing a few months at the beginning. The new list archive does contain
the same thing as the old list
(https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/).

gmane has an option to import old archives, so I'm seeing if they can do
that with the https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/
list, since it is complete. In order to avoid confusion on what list is
the most complete, if they can, I may request them delete or rename
their old, incomplete archive at
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.bitcoin.devel . It's possible they could
even make this new list use that same name after deleting or renaming
that old archive.

There is also bitcoin-list
(http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/bitcoin-list/). I think that
one may be discontinued? That list appears to be older and contains some
of Satoshi's original e-mails. On gmane though
(http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.bitcoin.user), it is missing the first
few years of archives. Do we want to try and preserve this historical
correspondence on any way before sourceforce disappears?

Regarding message footers and the subject prefix of [bitcoin-dev], it
would be cool if mailman allowed people to change this on a per-user basis.

Andy Schroder