[bitcoin-dev] [Bitcoin-development] [RFC] Canonical input and output ordering in transactions

Kristov Atlas kristovatlas.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 22:09:32 UTC 2015

Following up on this topic...

gmaxwell has reserved BIP 69 for my proposal.

It has been implemented by Electrum in v2.3.2:
https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES

Rusty has kindly tweaked his original canonical ordering proposal
implementation for Bitcoin Core's wallet client to fit my proposal:
https://github.com/rustyrussell/bitcoin/tree/bip-69 (needs testing)

Outstanding objections appear to me to boil down to two points:

1) Some transactions cannot comply with this BIP because there are input
and/or put index dependencies.

My response: No big deal, it's informational. They simply won't be
compliant with the BIP, and that's fine with me.

2) If we set a standard now for transactions that is not apparently random
ordering from the perspective of passive blockchain observers, transactions
that can't comply with this BIP will stand out. Also, if we change our
collective minds in the future about how ordering should be handled, those
future transactions would stand out. Therefore, the "safe" course of action
is to come up with another scheme that appears to be random ordering from
the perspective of a passive blockchain observer.

My response: Apparently-random but owner-verifiable ordering is doable.
Discussion of this has revolved around what I have called a "sorting key"
-- sort lexicographically, and then reorder according to the bits in a
sorting key that is impossible to predict by an attacker. This means
passive observers cannot determine anything meaningful about the
transaction (e.g. which output is change, information leaked based on utxo
selection algorithm for inputs, etc.) but the owner of the funds and the
sorting key can verify that his transaction matches the canonical
specification. Ideally, I think the key should rotate for each transaction
to avoid the possibility that a static key can link multiple transactions
together. The key should be rotated in such a fashion that the next
iteration is not predictable to anyone except the key holder (e.g. put the
key through a secure pseudo-random function for each new iteration). This
could be done by generating a few bytes of entropy upon wallet creation and
keeping track of the current iteration of rotation. HD wallets could derive
the initial state of the sorting key by deriving it from the HD seed. There
are a variety of schemes that could work here.

My main objection to this family of approaches at present is complexity. I
suspect that many wallet clients will not want to implement the BIP if they
have to maintain a sorting key.

A second objection is that no one will be able to detect anomalies in BIP
compliance except for the sorting key holder. Most users probably will not
bother to verify this. For code reviewers, this means that the sorting key
is yet another aspect of the code base that must be scrutinized to ensure
it is not being used as a covert channel or has been underhandedly weakened
in some fashion.

Also, I will mention an ancillary benefit of a non-random canonical
ordering: it makes unit testing of transactions for Bitcoin wallets simpler.

Given all of the above, I will reiterate my preference to keep the proposal
as it is now. The pull request is here:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/157

If there is market demand for it, a separate sorting key-based proposal
could be written which can compete with this BIP and over time successfully
deprecate it. I would currently envision that as an HD BIP with a new
purpose code.

-Kristov