[bitcoin-dev] BIP Process and Votes

Milly Bitcoin milly at bitcoins.info
Thu Jun 25 03:19:46 UTC 2015

The more specific answer (from a user's perspective) is that there is
unanimous approval within the constraints of the Bitcoin system.  The
constraint is that your software must be compatible with merchants and
exchanges for your coins to have value.  Stating "unanimous approval"
without identifying the constraint is misstating the issue.

As for developers, the consensus on code changes are almost never 100%
and someone has to make the decision about what is an a acceptable
consensus.  Most of the cultish answers completely overlook this issue
even though it is main point of the question.

Russ