[bitcoin-dev] BIP Process and Votes

Milly Bitcoin milly at bitcoins.info
Thu Jun 25 14:08:51 UTC 2015

I agree with all this.  However, as a practical matter the consensus
rules are not separated out so one person decides whether the "rough
consensus" has been reached and if the consensus rules should be
changed.  It really has nothing to do with any personality involved or
whether they do a good or bad job.  The final decision should probably
not fall into the lap of one person but it does for now and that is just
the way it is because there is no better way to do it if you want to get
things done.

I am also not saying any specific process is good or bad, I am saying
the lack of a defined process causes wasted time and effort.  Once you
define the process you have now (the baseline) then you can evaluate
whether parts of it are good or bad.

As the developer system transitions into a paid system where commercial
entities hire developers then there is no incentive for them to do that
if changes can never be made.  A defined process will give more
assurance for commercial entities to bring more developers on board.

Russ