[bitcoin-dev] BIP Process and Votes

Tom Harding tomh at thinlink.com
Thu Jun 25 19:03:57 UTC 2015

On 6/24/2015 8:00 PM, Raystonn wrote:

> > Consensus-code changes are unanimous. They must be.
>
> Excellent. Now we are getting to some actual written rules. How about
> updating the BIP process documentation with this? Everyone should be
> able to read the rules of the coin they are buying.
>
> One moment though. Can you tell me how this particular rule came to
> be? The creator of Bitcoin violated this rule many times. So it must
> have been adopted after his departure. What process was followed to
> adopt this new rule? Was there consensus for it at the time? A huge
> portion of the user community is under the impression that Satoshi's
> written plans, some of which violate this new rule, will be
> implemented. So there certainly would not be consensus for this rule
> today.

Great question; very fair.  I, for one, eagerly await Mark's answer.

I hope nobody forgot to tell adversaries totally outside the open source
ecosystem what the rules for hard forking changes are.

The Chinese miners have it right - we have to work together.  If you
want to see who's trying, look at who has written a concrete BIP/code
vs. who hasn't; who has made changes in response to feedback, and who
hasn't.