[bitcoin-dev] The need for larger blocks

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:55:28 UTC 2015

I completely agree with Pieter: usage will grow to fill whatever maximum
block size the miners decide to allow (or whatever maximum block size is
imposed by minimum transaction fees or a hard cap on block size).

I am not scared by increased usage, though: more usage and adoption means
more investment, more smart engineers, and more people with incentives to
solve whatever scaling problems crop up. All of that makes Bitcoin stronger.

And I don't feel like this process has been hurried: I've been working on
this (thinking, testing, simulating, talking, writing code, talking to key
people and companies) almost exclusively since late last year. In my humble
opinion, BIP 101 is a good compromise between "no limit, let the miners
decide" and "lower the max size so a raspberry pi running on a 56K modem
can be a full node."

Gavin Andresen