[bitcoin-dev] The need for larger blocks

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:57:42 UTC 2015

It is not "fear" of fee pressure.

1) Blocks are mostly not-full on average.

2) Absent long blocks and stress tests, there is little fee pressure above
the anti-spam relay fee metric, because of #1.

3) As such, inducing fee pressure is a delta, a change from years-long
bitcoin economic policy.  Each time we approach the soft limit, Bitcoin
Core increases the soft limit to prevent "full" blocks.  Mike Hearn et. al.
lobbies miners to upgrade.

(note - this is not an endorsement of these actions - it is a neutral
observation)

4) Inaction leads to consistent fee pressure as the months tick on and
system volume grows; thus, inaction leads to economic policy change.

5) Economic policy change leads to market and software disruption.  The
market and software - notably wallets - is not prepared for this.

6) If you want to change economic policy, that's fine.  But be honest and
admit you are arguing for a change, a delta from current market
expectations and behavior.

7) It is critical to first deal with what _is_, not what you wish the world
to be.  You want a fee market to develop.  There is nothing wrong with that
desire.  It remains a delta from where we are today, and that is critically
relevant in a $3b+ market.